For the personal benefit of all students, faculty, staff, and administration, ITS has arranged special pricing through a number of vendors. Those interested in exploring discounted opportunities are encouraged to competitively shop around as sometimes better deals can be located through commercial stores, warehouse stores, or online.
All acquisitions are handled directly between the buyer and the vendor. The ITS department has no involvement in the transaction.
- Personal purchases from Apple
- Personal purchases from AT&T (Employees)
- Personal purchases from AT&T (Students)
- Personal purchases for AutoDesk Products from JourneyEd
- Personal purchases from Catia (Engineering software)
- Personal purchases from CDW-G
- Personal purchases from Dell
- Personal purchases from Epocrates (PA students use code 521paepoc0809)
- Personal purchases from Hewlett Packard call 800.888.3224 opt4, opt1, opt2
- Personal purchases for IBM/Lenovo
- Personal purchases from Matlab
- Personal purchases from Jimi Costello Group call 248.770.1024 (various products)
- Personal purchases from Schoolworld/Logisoft (various products)
- Personal purchases from VarsityBuys.com (various products)
- Personal purchases from SPSS
- Personal purchases from Gillware Inc (Data recovery services)
- Personal purchases from Safeware.com (3rd party accidental coverage)
Microsoft Office 365
The ITS department is pleased to announce the Microsoft Advantage Program, which provides current students and employees the opportunity to download and install Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus applications at NO cost.
Who is eligible?
Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus is available to all students currently enrolled in Detroit Mercy courses, as well as current Detroit Mercy faculty, staff, and administrators.
How is this Possible?
The program is made available through Detroit Mercy's annual Microsoft agreement managed through ITS that provides licensing for all University owned equipment. Read more about the program online at http://blogs.office.com/2013/12/02/preparing-students-for-the-workplace-student-advantage-is-now-available/.
- First, register for Microsoft Office 365 with a valid Detroit Mercy email address: Current Student Registration / Faculty, Staff, and Administrator Registration
- Next, verify the account by clicking the “Complete Office 365 Education signup” link in an email from the “Microsoft Office 365 Team.”
- Finally, access account information, install software, and manage subscriptions at https://login.microsoftonline.com.
What software can I download?
The user subscription license allows each student and employee to run Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus for PC or Mac on up to 5 computers. The applications may also be installed on up to 5 mobile devices (Office Mobile for iOS, Android, and Windows Phone) on unlimited devices. Minimum hardware requirements may be found at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=403471
Office 365 Web Apps includes:
- Access to Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote from a web browser.
- OneDrive for Business – Online document storage with up to 1 TB of space.
- Open, edit and share Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote files from a web browser.
Office 365 ProPlus includes:
- Office 365 ProPlus for PC is based on Office ProPlus 2013 and includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Access, Publisher, Outlook, Lync, and InfoPath.
- Office 365 ProPlus for Mac is based on Office for Mac 2011 and includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, and Lync.
- Office 365 ProPlus stays up to date with the latest releases.
- Create and store Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, OneNote, and Publisher files locally on the computer.
Resource material is available on the ITS Training Services page.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS SOFTWARE FOR INSTALLATION ON PERSONALLY OWNED COMPUTERS AND NOT UNIVERSITY OWNED COMPUTERS. ALL UNIVERSITY OWNED COMPUTERS HAVE AN INSTITUTIONALLY LICENSED VERSION OF MICROSOFT OFFICE INSTALLED OR AVAILABLE TO THEM.
Free Technology Software and Resources
- Audacity is an audio recorder and editor.
- Avidemux is a free and open-source video editing program designed for video editing and video processing.
- Blender is a professional free and open-source 3D computer graphics software product used for creating animated films, visual effects, art, 3D printed models, interactive 3D applications and video games
- Eventbrite is an online ticketing service that allows event organizers to plan, set up ticket sales, and promote events and publish them across Facebook, Twitter, and other social-networking tools.
- GIMP is a graphics editor used for image retouching and editing, free-form drawing, resizing, cropping, converting between different image formats, and more.
- Inkscape is a free and open-source vector graphics editor; it can create or edit vector graphics such as illustrations, diagrams, line arts, charts, logos and even complex paintings.
- LimeSurvey is a web-based software that allows users to develop and publish on-line surveys, and collect responses.
- LucidChart is a web-based diagramming software which allows users to collaborate and work together in real time to create flowcharts, organizational charts, website wireframes, mind maps, software prototypes, and many other diagram types.
- Microsoft Expression Web is an HTML editor and general web design software product created by Microsoft.
- Nearpod is a web-based software that allows teachers to deliver customized presentations directly to student devices and to interact with their classes through customized assessments. The reporting tool enables teachers to monitor individual results and analyzes student progress.
- PDR-XChange Viewer is a PDF viewer that provides some additional markup capabilities, such as typing, highlighting, and note taking.
- Q Emulator emulates Linux, Windows, and other systems on Mac operating systems.
- Scribus is a desktop publishing application, similar to InDesign.
- SeaMonkey consists of a web browser (SeaMonkey Navigator), an e-mail and news client program (SeaMonkey Mail & Newsgroups), an HTML editor (SeaMonkey Composer) and an IRC client (ChatZilla).
- Socrative is a smart student response system that allows teachers to engage with the classroom through a series of educational exercises, including multiple-choice, true/false, and essay questions, via smartphones, laptops, and tablets.
- Video Conferencing
- FaceTime provides video conferencing between Apple devices.
- Google Hangouts provides video conferencing for up to ten participants. The software may be installed on PC, Mac, and mobile devices.
- Skype provides free video conferencing for up to 25 participants. Skype for Business, available to all Detroit Mercy students and employees, provides video conferencing for up to 250 participants. The software may be installed on PC, Mac, and mobile devices.
- WordPress is a popular content management and blogging system.